There is no escaping the juggernaut that is social media. The number of platforms increase daily in addition to the ways it can be used.
This creates exciting opportunities to engage with the community and to get an immediate sense of what people care about. However, this swiftness of information sharing can create confusion and unintended consequences.
Following are some tips for preventing, or at least minimising, social media awkwardness:
- Make sure you have a social media policy that staff understand and follow
- If you make a mistake, admit it, fix it and move on. There’s no hiding from the truth on the Internet
- Think about your audience – and your unintended audience. How might they interpret what you have posted online?
- Don’t be argumentative, rude or disrespectful even if the comments you are responding to are such
- However, do engage constructively with feedback – it’s called social media for a reason
Contact us to learn more about how we can help you with your social media or to find out about one of our upcoming seminars or webinars!